Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:32:38 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OFF] FreeBSD vs Solaris - Opinions?

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:57:01 -0400
> From: Miroslav Pendev <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
>
> I am not familiar with the kernel differences but here is what I can tell you:
>
> I use to deal with Solaris 8 for Intel's hardware recently and it was
> nightmare to get it working with my hardware until I remove anithing that
> wasn't in Sun's Hardware Compatibility List - in this case ... 3Com 905C NIC.
> In the list was 3Com 905B ;-))) Well the next version Solaris 8 10 01 was with
> support for my card, but ...

Funny you should mention that.. because it's the exact reason I
stopped messing around with Solaris/x86.  I couldn't get what is
probably the most popular SCSI card on the market (Adaptec 2940
series) working with Solaris 2.5.  Spent a lot of time messing with
it, then discovered that they had patched a problem with the driver,
in Solaris 2.5.1. (2.5.1 was itself just a collection of patches for
2.5)

Well I called up Sun, using that lovely free corporate support, only
to discover A) even though 2.5.1 was virtually identical to 2.5, they
had *no* intention of fixing that driver or making it available for
Solaris 2.5, and B) I'd have to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade,
just to get that ultra-common SCSI card to work.

That was the last time I wanted anything more to do with proprietary
Unix OS's.  If I wanted that kind of nonsense, I could just use
Microsoft.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium