Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:03:08 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOYO SY-30F2 blues

> > Hoi Hardware,
> >
> > I own a SOYO SY-30F2 mainboard (4xpci, 2xvesa, all 486's) with a
> > NCR 53C810 on the PCI bus. Until a week ago that was the only device
> > on the PCI bus.
> >
> > A week ago I added a 'Diamond Stealth 64 video 2001' to my system.
> > Pretty cool video card, but not for me. X crashes my system (as in
> > immediate reboot). Needless to say Descent^H^H^H^H^H^H^HMS-DOS runs
> > fine :( I have no MS Windows to try it with.

[......]

> If anything I would syspect the Diamond Stealth 64 video 2001, I have
> heard nothing but nightmares from my freinds down the street who build
> regular PC for DOS/Windows/WIN95 when they try to use these things on
> just about anyones motherboard.
>

> > boot -v reveals that both the SCSI and the VGA card use int# a. and
> > occupy the same memory address. This is regardless of the settings I
> > do in the bios (Award modular bios).
>
> It sounds like maybe the bios on the VGA card or the motherboard bios
> are not doing the right thing with respect to memory space assignment.

I'm not sure about the 2xxx series, but the 3xxx  Diamond  Stealth  64
are nice and fast controllers for FBSD/XFree86... once you figured out
how to configure them.

Make sure you are using the latest XFree86 3.1.2 beta release (I think
it's 3.1.2e). Also try playing with  options  in  the  /etc/XF86Config
file. I have had to explicitely specify the VRAM base address in  mine
as follows (remember my card is a 3400):

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM"
    VendorName  "Diamond"
    BoardName   "Stealth 64 Video VRAM"
    MemBase     0x8000000
    #Option "slow_vram"
    Option "sw_cursor"
    Option "Diamond"
# Use Option "nolinear" if the server doesn't start up correctly
# (this avoids the linear framebuffer probe). If that fails try
# option "nomemaccess".
#
# Refer to /usr/X11R6/lib/doc/README.S3, and the XF86_S3 man page.
EndSection

Note  that  the  address  will  probably  vary for your configuration.
Actually  I picked up mine from what the demo Xaccel commercial server
printed  at  startup. You might want to try it, I think it's available
on www.xinside.com.

Option  "slow_vram"  (commented out above) is said to avoid some cases
of image corruption and/or crashes too.

Good luck,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE