Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:36:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        fbsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   can I tar and copy src & ports after cvsupping?

Hi all,
I am looking for a quick way out to cvsup a machine
with a slowwwwww connection.
I have a fast adsl connection to another machine and
have cvsupped the /src & ports trees.
Q1)
To do the same to my other slow connection machine can
I simply tarball the /usr/src and /usr/ports
and ftp them to my slow machine & then make etc?
Tell me it is that simle pleeeese.
Q2)
If I tar up the trees are the or how can the
permissions be retained... tar -czvf do the trick?
Q3)
I have 4.2 stable on these 2 machines.
I have read the make world docs but to be honest I
have very little idea about what I am reading. It
looks as if I can just do the make world process and
it should work. Should I be confident here. These are
mission critical machines and I am by NO means expert.
Any tips would be invaluable. PS Keeping in mind I am
a dummy, I'd appreciate plain as possible language.
I have no external support. You good people are it.
Thanks so much
Keith