Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:24:49 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux Emulation Root (was: Re: Linux emulation scripting fix  to be committed to 5.x and 4.x wednesday)

In message <200004231835.LAA62963@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon
writes:
>     I intend to commit this to -current and immediately MFC it to -stable.
>     I don't expect there to be any controversy though I'm sure there is a
>     cleaner way to do it.

On a semi-related topic, it would be handy to have a feature,
environment variable, table in the kernel, a sysctl variable, etc., to
set the Linux emulation root to the real root.  For example, the backup
component of Legato for Linux (nsrexecd and friends) runs nicely on
under Linux emulation, however, recovering files in the root directory
sees them placed in the Linux emulation root directory.

To work around this I've used a union filesystem that mounted / on
another mount point and redirected my restores to it.

My questions are:

Is there a cleaner way to work around this, e.g. some tunable knob to
tune Linux emulation?  If not, would anyone else see any use for this
kind of feature?

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC