Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:25:47 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DHCP weirdness ?

Chris Peltier wrote:

> > From time to time, the IP address which is allocated to my machine
> > changes subnets (it goes from the xxx.yyy.18.zzz network to the
> > xxx.yyy.21.www). This seems to disturb wildly the Net connection (the
> > dhcp client complains about changing subnets, and often, I'm
> > obliged to
> > reboot to use the network).
> >
> > Atfer this (rather long) introduction, here is my question :
> > is it a good engineering practice to have the DHCP server
> > change subnets
> > in its response even though the machine does not change
> > physical network
> > ?
> >
> > (the rfc-2131 on DHCP specifically allows the subnet change - on p.27,
> > but I can't find a good reason to do so)
>
> The Cable providers do this to prevent customer from running
> servers on their network. They don't want to block inbound
> syn connections so instead they change IPs.
>
> -Chris

I didn't write what I meant : of course, this change of subnet is
designed to prevent customer servers.

The real question was : is the isc-dhcp client more robust in the case
of such changes ? (last night, my machine survived a change of subnet,
that is I didn't have to reboot it this morning even if the IP subnet
changed during the night)

( other questions would be : have other ppl on the list had the same
problem ? what is the policy of @home / Road-Runner ? )

        TfH

PS : BTW, the DHCP client for theMac also suffers when changing subnets