Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 02:28:34 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "'Bill Moran'" <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>, <tresstatus@bsdpunk.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: bellsouth dsl?

Speaking as the admin of an ISP that deploys DSL I can't
disagree more!  I WANT stone-dumb support techs at the
Telco, because I want to discourage people from calling
the Telco if there's a problem!

I DO NOT WANT end users like this to be calling the
Telco DSL tech support!!  I want them to be calling MY tech
support, BEFORE they call the phone company, so that we
can key the order for their circuit into the phone company's
system so that it's delivered properly, with all the
hardware that they need.  DON'T call the phone company,
they don't know anything about DSL or how to order
it, all they know is how to put a DSL CPE into a shipping
box and mail it somewhere, then how to go to the switchroom
and crossconnect your phone line to a DSLAM port.  Beyond
that 95% of the Telco techs employed by the phone company
couldn't tell a DSL circuit from a hole in the ground,
and the 5% that know what they are doing are kept busy
running around and fixing all the mistakes that the other
95% make.

Telco DSL tech support is to be used for ONE thing only -
you call them if the DSL modem cannot train to the DSLAM,
nothing else.  PLEASE DO NOT ask them ANYTHING else - because
I guarentee that what's going to happen is that your
slightly broken system is going to end up being completely hosed.
Then, after completely screwing you the Telco is going
to start blaming the ISP saying it's their fault.
Then when you call the ISP in desperation, you have
made my job 1000% times harder because the system by
then is so completely hosed that my support techs can't
make head or tail out of it, and I get sucked into fixing
it, or I have to have you yard damn the thing into our
office and burn up an hour of support time unscrewing it.

We do FreeBSD, Linux, MacOS, OS/2, Winders, NT, 2K support
all for DSL.  Our job is getting the Internet to your system.
The Telco's job is delivering some circuit that they don't
know what the hell is running on it and they could care less.
Remember they don't get paid for the Internet service ON the
DSL circuit, the get paid for the circuit itself.  Call the people
that do give a rat's ass about the Internet service on the DSL
circuit for help - the ISP.