Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 15:57:26 -0400
From:      Robert Brazile <brazile@momentum.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with Etherlink III

I've done some searching in the archive and been unable to find something
that exactly applies to my problem, so I am appealing to this group for some
help.

I have a Gateway 2000 (sympathy accepted) P5-90 that I'm trying to turn into
a FreeBSD-based gateway. Installation of the system (2.1.5) went
uneventfully, and everything seems to work just fine -- except the network
interface. The card is a 3Com Etherlink III and I am using the ep0
interface. When the system comes up, the network interface works [i.e., I
can ping things, get DNS queries resolved, etc.] but as soon as anyone tries
to do anything "real", such as telnet into the machine, the network
interface locks up and NOTHING goes through.

We've seen a running ping just stop receiving packets when someone else
tries to log in via telnet. Varying the interface with ifconfig brings it back.

Is there a way around this short of replacing the card? Any help is much
appreciated.

Robert Brazile
Momentum Inc.