Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:38:16 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@hub.freebsd.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 & freetype

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 12:58:09PM -0700, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:

>  > Hi,
>  > Reading RELNOTES for XFree86-4.1.0 revealed that they are now
>  > providing a way to easily use external freetype2 library instead
>  > of one buindled with XFree86. Could you please reconsider your
>  > last decision to use buindled freetype, which if my memory serves
>  > was mainly due to headache associated with extending and maintaining
>  > already large XFree86 patchset.
>
> This is not new, and there is an option in script/configure to not
> compile the builtin freetype. Configure asks:
> 	Do you want support for TrueType fonts? [YES]
>
> From the cvs log:
> revision 1.74
> date: 2001/03/20 15:55:00;  author: jmz;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -1
> Add the possibility to disable support for TrueType fonts.

Maybe I'm reading Maxim's message wrong, but..  I think he's suggesting
that only the FreeType build is disabled; this does not necessarily
mean disabling TrueType fonts, as the X build might detect a previously
installed FreeType library, and use it to still build the fonts.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If you think this sentence is confusing, then change one pig.