Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:01:09 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Inconsistent IO performance

For some time I have seen very odd issues with IO performance on
8-Stable. Going back to November of last year when 8.0 was released, I
see variations of up to 22% in identical operations. This is not a
degradation as the performance moves up and down.

This is a very simplistic case. I have two identical disks (Fujitsu 80G)
on a ThinkPad T43 with a 2 GHz CPU and 2G RAM. I run the command:
dd bs=516096 if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad2

I do this in single user mode immediately after a boot with no disks
mounted for write. Just a 'boot -s', ,Enter> to start the shell, and the
dd. I would expect very consistent performance from run to run, but I
don't get it. Here are the results since 8.0 was released:
 Date   Xfer rate       Kernel date
12/4/09	19,242,573	Nov. 26 kernel (8.0-stable)
12/9/09	18,304,565	Dec. 6 kernel
12/17/0923,676,086
1/5/10	18,648,609
1/14/10	23,488,540	Jan. 6 kernel
1/21/10	19,551,680	Jan. 15 kernel
1/27/10	21,176,385	Jan. 21 kernel
2/5/10	22,387,745
2/11/10	23,387,894
2/17/10	20,412,172	Feb. 16 kernel
2/25/10	22,049,128
3/4/10	22,099,624	Mar. 3 kernel
3/17/10	20,334,896	Mar. 3 kernel
3/31/10	21,655,213	Mar. 25 kernel
4/8/10	19,673,170
4/14/10	22,235,518
4/30/10	21,262,223	Apr. 14 kernel
6/3/10	22,838,125	May 24 kernel
6/17/10	18,481,270
6/28/10	20,958,356
7/8/10	19,698,282	June 28 kernel
7/21/10	23,330,556
7/28/10	20,544,392	July 24 kernel (8.1-stable)
8/13/10	22,093,259	Aug. 9 kernel

Note the dramatic differences even on the same kernel. For the December
6 kernel, for example, I see a maximum of 23,676,086 and a minimum of
just 18,304,565. ????

Can anyone explain what might be causing such a dramatic difference?

I should also note that the system was consistent back in V6 and V7
days. Consistently slow, but consistent. 17.5M was the norm in V6 and
18.0M in V7. The performance jumped to about 19M in March of 09 and jumped
to its current speeds with 8.0. So performance has greatly improved to
where the slowest times are better than the fastest prior to March of
09. Just very inconsistent.

I don't know that anything is wrong, but I'd love to understand why this
is happening.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)