Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:16:36 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, <clash@tasam.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with large disk. (> 1 TB)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

MD>     I don't know if we will ever be able to fix this in -stable, but Kirk is
MD>     planning on changing block numbers from 32 to 64 bits in -current
MD>     as part of his UFS64 work.  I don't think he's tackled the disklabel
MD>     issue yet, but I presume that he will.
MD>
MD>     Until then we are effectively limited to 1TB of physical storage per
MD>     logical drive.

So, are my feelings right that in order to bring in use into machine total
storage greater than 1T and gain access in the middle to some redundancy,
the best way is make slices and concatenate them under vinum to get
multiple stripes each <1T in size?

Or, is there another recommended behaviour?

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]