Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:01:37 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@pit.databus.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: could netscape hose my dialup modem traffic?

I have seen some weird paging behavior with netscape (4.76)
on 4.2 (beta, then stable as of 11/29).  Sometimes netscape and X
get into a fight over memory, with both seeming to be largely non-resident
although there is free memory.  I can usually provoke this by opening
an extra window in jsp (for example by clicking on the "vote" box on
www.cnn.com).  Quitting netscape makes the symptom go away, in that
I can restart netscape without paging.  This is on an smp P6/200
with 64 MB.  I'm not running ppp.

When you get into the syndrome, run top and see if you're doing a lot
to swap with netscape largely non-resident.

Barney Wolff