Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:55:38 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT RAID controller support

This brings to mind something that's been puzzling me about RAID.
Whenever someone posts a question here about what RAID controllers
are supported, the standard answer is "DPT".  Now, by my
understanding, the way those are set up is something like this:

  You have a bunch of drives in a box.  They are all plugged into the
  RAID controller.  The RAID controller is plugged into a slot in the
  computer.  The operating system must specifically support that RAID
  controller.

That arrangement strikes me as rather inflexible and prone to
compatibility problems.  It seems better to do it this way:

  You have a bunch of drives in a box.  They are all plugged into the
  RAID controller, which is also mounted in the box.  The RAID
  controller makes the array appear as a single large SCSI device,
  and is connected to any standard SCSI controller in the computer.
  The operating system only needs support for whatever SCSI
  controller is used.

So...  Am I right that this is a better way to do things, or is there
something important that I am missing?  Does anyone have any
experience with hardware of that design that they can recommend?

Thanks,
Dave