Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:41:56 +0100
From:      "Thomas Runge" <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

This all sounds like a decision, whether we want to be a desktop
or a server-only system.
For mainly server-oriented, the "install source to update" or
console-based setups are quite enough, because the system will
most probably administraded by people, that know, what they are
doing.
But if we want to compete with Linux (and the development of
the Linuxulator makes that impression) and if we want to get
some market share, we have to be more "user friendly", which
means, installs must be easy and *smile* eye-catching. Sorry, but
thats the way it is. Thats why Suse is more used than Debian.
Thats why some people still prefer Windows over Unix even for
servers.

So, we have a very good server OS, let's focus a little bit
more on the desktop.

--
Tom