Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 00:25:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        Ghulum Dastgir <Ghulam_Dastgir@uk.ibm.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: shells, users and X

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Patrick Gardella wrote:

>On 21-Sep-98 Ghulum Dastgir wrote:
>> well here goes:
>>
>>  1. I've installed X-windows on my FBSD installation then decided to
>> change my root shell from /bin/csh to /bin/bash. After editing with vipw I
>> found I couldn't access
>>  X-windows anymore i.e. if I enter startx: it says command not found.
>> How can I fix this as startx was working previously with csh?
>
>bash is not in /bin, but in /usr/local/bin/bash, so it can't find it in /bin.
>Change the path, and it'll work.

As a side note, it is unadvisable to make root's shell bash in
/etc/passwd.

If you have any trouble with the /usr filesystem you will be STUCK, STUCK,
STUCK. I learned this the hard way.

You might spawn bash from sh in .profile after performing a check to see
if /usr/local/bin/bash actually exists. This will get you bash during
login if it's there, but will let you use sh if bash is not there. This
will save you the agony and humiliation of having to break out the FIXIT
disc.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/