Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:17:10 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Joe Raine <questav@questronix.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall?

On 29 Sep 98, at 14:13, Joe Raine wrote:

> 1. Is the learning curve horrendous for someone who is only versed in DOS
> and Windows?

Yes.  But we've all been there.  I was.  I still consider myself a newbie.
 But don't let that put you off.

> 2. Will there be any compatibility problems integrating a FreeBSD machine
> into a Win'95 peer-to-peer network?

Not that I know of.  I use my FreeBSD box as a firewall/gateway for my
home subnet.  No comms issue whatsoever.

> 3. Does FreeBSD have a firewall built-in or is that available as a
> similarly-priced add-on?

Built-in.  Comes free.  It's called ipfw.  I use it and recommend it.
There's also something called ipf, but I know little about it.

> 4. We want to offer on-line transaction facilities eventually. Is FreeBSD
> up to the task, especially in regard to security issues?

I see no reason why not.  But I have no experience in this area.  Perhaps
the security mailing list is better suited to this question.

> 5. I would prefer to purchase the CD-ROM version of FreeBSD, is a printed
> manual also available?

Yes.  Buy it.  I wish I did before I installed.  It's called The Complete
FreeBSD and has lots of good stuff in it.  Unfortunately, it's written by
an ocker.  :P

> I apologise in advance if I have asked some questions that might be
> answered by browsing your website, but spare time is a scarce commodity
> for me just now and I have not had enough of it to browse in a productive
> manner.

No worries.  My website might have some handy hints on getting started.
It also shows you what not to do (e.g. The CDROM story; kids, don't try
this at home).

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited