Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:36:52 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
To:        danny@vkpc.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't SSH into my computer after update

> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 04:14:19 -0800
> From: "Danny Yoo" <danny@vkpc.com>
> Subject: Can't SSH into my computer after update
>
> Hi all,
>
> I can't seem to SSH into my box now that I've upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2. All
> my config files seem to be in order. What happens is that as soon as I type
> in my password, the connection gets closed. I can log in from the console
> fine though. I'm not really sure what to look at after the upgrade.

If you upgraded to 4.2-STABLE, some of the SSH stuff recently changed.
One thing that has bit people is that /etc/pam.conf now should have
an entry for sshd, or you won't be able to log in with ssh, i.e.:

 # OpenSSH with PAM support requires similar modules.  The session one is
 # a bit strange, though...
 sshd    auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
 sshd    auth    required        pam_unix.so                     try_first_pass
 sshd    session required        pam_permit.so

If this is your problem, you probably need to run mergemaster to update
some of your other configuration files.

> The error message looks like:
>
> debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
> debug: next auth method to try is publickey
> debug: key does not exist: /home/userid/.ssh/id_dsa
> debug: next auth method to try is password
> userid@host.com's password:
> debug: ssh-userauth2 successfull: method password
> debug: channel 0: new [client-session]
> debug: send channel open 0
> debug: Entering interactive session.
> debug: client_init id 0 arg 0
> debug: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
> debug: channel request 0: shell
> debug: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 16384
> Connection to host.com closed by remote host.
> Connection to host.com closed.
> debug: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 87 bytes in 0.2 seconds
> debug: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 522.8
> debug: Exit status -1
> debug: writing PRNG seed to file /home/userid/.ssh/prng_seed

Did these come from the client or the server (looks like client to me)?
Error info from the server would probably be useful.

- Bob