Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:08:01 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

> What are the real advantages of ijppp over pppd, and is anyone integrating
> them into the kernel pppd? Its pretty stupid to run ppp in user space just to
> get a couple of intiialization features.

Actually, in the long run it would be nice to get the bugs fixed in the
user-land version.  I would *prefer* the user-land version to the kernel
version except for it's instability, and I don't have time to track down
the bugs in it since the application is critical to my work, and pppd
works.

Bloating the kernel with the features of user-land ppp is not a good
thing.  Also, it's *very* easy to debug the user-land version where the
kernel version is *much* harder to debug.  No reboots necessary. ;)

Nate