Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 02:06:33 +0100
From:      peter@hw.nl (Peter Korsten)
To:        BigDaddy@LiveNet.Net (Joseph I. Arias)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from DOS partition

J Wunsch shared with us:
> As Joseph I. Arias wrote:
>
> > Should I download FreeBSD 2.2? I'm a beginger to Unix is 2.2 stable enough
> > for me to pratic on?
>
> It's probably 20 times more stable than Win 3.1, and 5 times more
> stable than Win 95. :-)

I disagree. It's far more stable than that. It did help, though,
to throw the OPTI-087 ISA video board out and replace it with a
S3 PCI. Now Windows 95 doesn't hang at random when a rectangle
pops up.

But a my current and my previous job, FreeBSD is *very* stable,
unless you're doing very heavy ISP stuff. We reboot our machines
once a month, just out of habit.

> No offense intended, but i think somebody who's going to be serious
> about ISP business won't even install a DOS partition at all first.
> Waste of space.  You even didn't learn how to give your mail a subject
> line yet... how are you going to teach your customers about Internet
> Netiquette?

Said previous employer, an ISP, just bought a box with 30 ISDN/V34
connections. Primary rate in, 100 Mbit Ehternet out. That thing
costs almost 1,5 as much as I earn in a year, before taxes. You
simply can't compete, money-wise and knowledge-wise (concerning
system maintainance etc.) with the established ISP's. Even if you
could throw in a couple of 100,000's, you would have a hard time.

- Peter
--
Peter Korsten  |  peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl (UUCP)  |  peterk@IAEhv.nl
C/C++/Perl/Java hacker