Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:26:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
To:        Domino9033@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ??????????????????/

> i serouserl do not understand your directions on getting free bsd and dont
> know where to dl it and still dont know where to get the support for it

Its quite easy. To download it, merely go to ftp.cdrom.com, and look
under freebsd. I haven't been there for a while, so its probably under
/pub/freebsd. Grab the latest stable release. I believe that's v3.0, but
I heard v2.2.8 is coming out, so I'm confused right there. v3.0 might be
a stable release for developers and the like, not yet ready for
prime-time. Remember, though, downloading isn't great off of a 28.8,
tiring even over isdn.

The best option, IMHO, is to buy the cd. Now, there's a few ways to do
this. You can buy the walnut creek's set, which has the cds and the
Complete FreeBSD (supposedly a great book), or you can grab just the cds
cheaply at cheapbits.com. There, its just a few dollars. I recomend
having a book.. I'm trying without one, and its a pain. I'm waiting for a
new version of the Complete FreeBSD, since fbsd v3.0 is supposed to be a
major change. There was a online-freebsd book being written, but I lost
the url a while back. Its probably out of developement by now, and you
can read it on their page for free, I expect. Otherwise, the only other
free source for books is mcp.com. However, they give you access to old
releases, and have just Linux or straight UNIX books, no fbsds.