Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 16:57:18 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        beef@tht.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Xwindows won't run after complete re-install

>  I copied xinitrc for .../xinit/xinitrc and copied to
>/home/beef/.xinitrc and did chown to myself. But that did not help. I
>am at a loss as what the problem is. I have an ATI mach 64 with 4
>megs ram and basically did same setup as before. I tried it as root
>and myself. All fails and gives some type of message about SHVSYM or
>something like that.

You get grey screen and no windows? I did this once. Have you referenced a
window manager in .xinitrc? If you haven't started a window manager you
will get the behavior you described.

Also, start a couple of xterms from xinitrc. X will start up and those
xterms will popup and you will be on your way. YMMV.

Have fun,
Jason Wells