Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 1997 07:26:47 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

> >> 'Tis fine until you start using the named for lookups and then it
> >> starts opening the line itself at random moments, i.e. when it's
> >> checking the validity of things still in its cache, etc.  That's why
> >> I use /etc/hosts on my home machine, and resolve  using an external
> >> name server on my work network.
> >
> > Naaa.  Just use ppp & use a dfilter
>
> Is that a typo, or something I don't know about?
>
> > to block the DNS.  If you play primary for everything local
> > (including any static *real* IP address you may have), it works
> > wonders.  The bigger your LAN gets the happier you become.
>
> And how do you perform DNS lookups when the link is up?  What you need
> is to limit the kind of packet which can cause autodial.  Is that a
> dfilter?  (If this was a typo, and you introduce the feature, how
> about calling it dfilter? :-)

There are dfilters and there are ifilters and ofilters (not to
mention afilters).

Something that doesn't make the dfilter (dial filter) won't bring the
line up.  The packet'll still get passed as long as it makes the
ofilter (output filter) or the ifilter (input filter).  If it doesn't
make the afilter (alive filter), it won't keep the line up (ie, the
timer will expire despite it).  Have a look in the man page - it
could probably be explained a bit better.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;