Date:      Sat, 4 May 1996 18:47:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      Julian Jenkins <kaveman@magna.com.au>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spice3f4 port

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Thomas Gellekum wrote:

> Julian Jenkins wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Thomas Gellekum wrote:
> > > It's ready to commit. However, I want to wait until I get some
> > > information on usage conditions from software@eecs.berkeley.edu.
> >
> > I have been looking at this too, but the best I could find without
> > actually emailing anybody was at :
> >
> > http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/ILP/Catalog/index.html
>
> Well, they pointed me to that site. So, if anyone familiar with legal
> English could take a few minutes to look at the section on
> Distribution Policy, please:
>
> http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/ILP/Catalog/94.preface.html#Distribution
>
> The catalog entry for Spice contains the note: ``Foreign Distribution:
> yes''. But there's more to it: licensees have to write a ``letter of
> assurance''; see
>
> http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/ILP/Catalog/assur.html
>
> As I understand this, we may use the source code from sunsite, we may
> put up the package for ftp under similar disclaimers as the crypto
> code (``no export to Country Group S and Z, so if you're from there,
> don't download'') but we shouldn't include the source or the package
> on the CDROM, in case WC wants to sell the CDs in, say, Libya or South
> Africa.
>
> Any corrections welcome :-).

I cannot see anyting wrong with this interpretation. Does WC employ any
lawyers who could take a look at this? Are these restrictions placed as a
result of any US laws or just by UCB?

Just out of interest, if anyone can find out, how many FreeBSD CDs does WC
sell in country groups S and Z and to the South African Police and Military?

Kaveman
kaveman@magna.com.au