Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:24:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        past@netmode.ntua.gr
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native JDK sound

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 08:07:12PM +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> > I tried to investigate the issue, but I got this:
> > laptop$ java -jar Java2Demo.jar

[snippage]

> > when the application was showing "Loading: init" and a bar 15% full.
> > I have patchset 9, 4-STABLE, no JIT/OpenJIT, XFree86 3.3.5, Lesstiff.
> > The linux-jdk works fine with Java2Demo, except that it does not play
> > any sound (no error messages either). Anybody has a clue?
>
> I found out what was wrong with that. I was using Robert Swindells'
> font.properties file, and obviously it isn't quite perfect. I also
> noticed that in the tests, the antialiasing does not work if you
> use that font.properties. The sad thing is that I cannot work with the
> default ones (they are VERY ugly), so I am afraid I will be switching
> font.properties files :-(

Robert's font.properties file is fine, the problem is that Java2D _needs_
TrueType fonts, and the URW fonts aren't.  I even put this in the FAQ I
included in patchset 9 :).

> P.S.: BTW, sound does not work for me either. Wav, au, aiff files
> produce nothing. Rmf files produce exceptions (Classes not found). I
> will investigate further.

As Rob mentioned, it appears that you can get it partially working using
one of the files from patchset 5.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083