Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD w/ 7 GIG Maxtor IDE HD

Greetings everyone,

	Today I attempted to install FreeBSD on a Maxtor 7 GIG EIDE Hard
Drive but was unsuccessful.  With the drive plugged in, FreeBSD probes the
drive as 14475 cylinders, 8207 Heads, and 8255 Sectors per track while the
drive and the BIOS has it as 14475 cylinders, 15 Heads, and 63 sectors per
track.  With the drive plugged in, the FreeBSD boot disk never made it to
the sysinstall menu but just hung there until I booted without the drive
attached.  I have tried 4 of the same drives from different vendors and it
still gave me the same problem.  Has anyone actually used this drive with
FreeBSD successfully or what's the largest make/model of IDE drive that
people have used successfully with FreeBSD?  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]