Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 02:52:36 +0700
From:      kandi@jambi.wasantara.net.id (Eka Kelana)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about PPP

I have difficulties in making my freebsd be able to connect to my ISP.
And I hope there are some people here who is able to give me some help.

Here is my problem:

My ISP uses PPP and assigns IP address to each user dynamically.
So I used user PPP and made a very few changes to PPP configuration file
example located in /etc/ppp, then I renamed it into it's proper name. The
only changes I made looks like this:

   delete all
   add 0 0 HISADDR

in file ppp.linkup. I didn't make any changes to the other file located in
the same directory because I think that they have nothing to do with. I just
renamed ppp.conf.iij file into ppp.conf file.
I read the first line in that file which explain some stuffs about making a
connection to an ISP which use PPP and assign IP address dynamically and I
thought it could get me out of this problem.
As addition, I also made a few changes to /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig. It
looks loke this:

/etc/hosts ---->   adding line "10.0.0.1  myhost.local.pc myhost"
/etc/sysconfig ---> -set hostname to "myhost.local.pc"
                    -adding ethernet device and tunnel device (ed1 & tun0)
                     and also the neccessary changes to ifconfig_${device} line
                    -set ed1 as "myhost.local.pc" and set tun0 IP address to
0.0.0.0
                    -set routed flag with "-s"

And I also created file /etc/resolv.conf into which I put this line:
   "nameserver 202.159.65.166"

Then I rebooted the machine and invoke PPP. After made some neccessary
configuration setting I tried to make a PPP connection by dialing my ISP
using command "term".
I could connect to my ISP and logging in, but after I invoked PPP in the
remote machine into which I logged in, PPP program in my computer and PPP
program in remote machine refused to negotiate and I could not get any IP
address from my ISP.
(invoking PPP in my ISP's remote machine after logging in is the procedure I
should do to start PPP program in remote machine).
I also would like to tell you that I currently do not know the IP address of
my ISP remote machine or gateway and my ISP's network mask. The only address
I know is my ISP's DNS.

That's all...
And thank's anyway for providing time to read this message.
I would be very grateful for the help.

-Eka Kelana-