Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:47:59 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Subject:   Re: 32GB limit per swap device?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:13:14AM +0300, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
> On 09.08.11 18:16, David Wolfskill wrote:
> >While FreeBSD cannot address more than 32GB per swap space, it
> >permits as many as 32 swap spaces to be active concurrently.
>
> I am more concerned that with 32GB of swap in single device I could
> not dump kernel core, with 64GB of RAM.

My apologies if I've misunderstood something, but why does this of any
concern?  Machine has 64GB RAM.  You have a single swap slice that's
effectively 32GB.  How is a kernel panic worth of 64GB RAM going to fit
into a 32GB swap slice?

I think what folks are saying is that if you use multiple swap slices
(e.g. two of 32GB each), you can achieve what you need.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |