Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 21:24:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "James E. Leinweber" <jiml@slh.wisc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5-RELEASE generic kernel panics looking for mythical sd1a root

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, James E. Leinweber wrote:

> Bravo!  The kernel duely informed me that the syntax to force it to use the BIOS
> device 1 (i.e, the SCSI disk in a two disk IDE + SCSI computer) is:
>
> 	1:sd(0,a)kernel
>
> And this works.  Thanks very much for the quick and helpful response.

Thankfully, that syntax works 99.99% of the time.

There is some problem with the guessing the boot blocks do to figure out
where your FreeBSD slice is.  My guess is, since your configuration is
rather, er, extended, that the boot blocks don't have enough logic to make
it through the maze.

The unfortunate part is that you're stuck forever typing that in to Boot:
until you move your disks around.