Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:48:47 -0400
From:      "Douglas Cohen" <douglas@artswire.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NATD - Console Message Question

I'm running ipfw with natd, connecting my RFC 1918 LAN to the Internet.

The ipfw rules only allow internal LAN users access to external Internet
services (email, http, telnet, dns, passive mode ftp).

Everything seems to be working fine, except that the following natd message
keeps appearing on the console:

     natd[173]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)

I understand about failing to write the packet back, but what does [173]
signify in terms of natd?  (looking in the services file,
xyplex-mux is assigned to port 173, which somehow doesn't seem
relevant).

The natd configuration is:

    -use_sockets -same_ports -unregistered_only -dynamic

Thanks for you help.

Doug