Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:24:30 -0500
From:      David Banning <david+dated+1165112671.9ff16f@skytracker.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   secondary ide drive setup

I am attempting to setup a secondary ide drive. I have configured the
entire 305MB drive for storage. I used /stand/sysinstall and -it-
issued the command ;

/bin/sh -c newfs -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/ad2s1e

which seems very disk intensive and is taking a long time. I am wondering
if this is right. I just want to use the second drive as a storage folder
for backing up the main drive.

The disklabel editor shows it as

Disk: ad2       Partition name: ad2s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
ad2s1e    /uusr       305242MBUFS+S Y

This configuration issued the command as above;

/bin/sh -c newfs -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/ad2s1e

How long should newfs take for a 305 MB drive?