Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 1996 16:55:55 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Virtual Circuit support

I've written a virtual circuit support package for freebsd
based on input from various members here..

It's based on the "dynamic interface per VC" scheme used by
Ron Minnich and Dennis in their implimentations, but doesn't touch any
existing interfaces.

the first modules I have are a module to handle a subset (IP and ARP
only) of RFC 1490 encapsulation. I also have skelaton written.
In some ways it's a little similar to the SCSI subsystem (funny, that)
The encapsulation/encoding modules (of which rfc1490.c is one example)
are switched in on a per VC basis, so that vc0 might be running
RFC1490 while vc1 might be running Cisco-HDLC and vc2 might be running
raw-IP unencapsulated..
at the same time vc0 and vc1 might be on a single frame relay
link while vc2 might be over an ISDN B channel.

I'd like to talk to the people doing the ISDN code, as it is possible
here to get a frame-relay VC to come out at the other end as an ISDN
channel, so I need to ensure that what works for one works for the
other...

the system is layered in such a way that you can stack the modules
to get (for example) rfc1490 over cisco-hdlc (though why?)
or add a proprietary multiplexing scheme over an hdlc link and then
take one of those channels and use rfc1490 or ppp (or ppp over 1490)
over that.

all modules are referenced by name when setting up.. e.g. "rfc1490"
so constants known in advance should not be needed. this should allow
the modules to be totally implimentable as LKMs.

I only have a bottom end driver (the equivalent of a SCSI adapter
driver) for a proprietary frame card at the moment but hope
that I'll be able to fit it onto the various sync drivers
I see already in the tree.

julian
p.s if this mail appears to come from (wants to reply to)
current1.whistle.com, correct it to whistle.com and let me know..