Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:08:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        "Julian C. Dunn" <jdunn@aquezada.com>
Cc:        jedgar@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16687: p5-Mysql building problem due to missing errmsg

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Julian C. Dunn wrote:

> [I sent this two weeks ago but some reason it never got through to you --
> didn't bounce, though]
>
> On 13-Feb-2000 Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> > On a fresh install of mysql322-server using the current port (BTW,
> > errmsg.h is installed from mysql322-client, which is a dependency of
> > mysql322-server):
> >
> > $FreeBSD: ports/databases/mysql322-server/Makefile,v 1.72 2000/01/25
> > 14:34:35 dirk Exp $
> > $FreeBSD: ports/databases/mysql322-client/Makefile,v 1.62 1999/08/25
> > 05:21:19 obrien Exp $
> >
> > jedgar@earth:~$ ls /usr/local/include/mysql
> > dbug.h     m_string.h   my_list.h     mysql.h          mysqld_error.h
> > errmsg.h   my_config.h  my_pthread.h  mysql_com.h      raid.h
> > m_ctype.h  my_global.h  my_sys.h      mysql_version.h
> > jedgar@earth:~$
> >
> > Are you seeing something different using the port?
>
> Okay, here's what I believe happened. The mysql322-server port checks for
> the existence of the mysql binary, as evidence as to whether or not the
> client is installed. Since I had the client installed from a previous
> build of mysqlxxx-server, when I rebuilt the server, it didn't attempt to
> rebuild the dependency. I just built the client by hand and it correctly
> installed the errmsg.h file, as well as the other headers.
>
> So what do you suggest as a fix, if any? Have the makefile check for the
> version of -client before building -server?

Yes, I replied, stating the suggested fix would be to install the updated
mysql322-client port...since the older versions of the mysql ports
apparently didn't have all the headers required for the current p5-Mysql
port.  Although we could check for the correct version of mysql (not sure
exactly which ones are ok), I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a
reasonably recent version is installed (esp. with the recent security
holes found).

If this fixes the problem, I would like to close the PR; if not, we need
to investigate further.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org