Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:01:48 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tcp connections in CLOSING state

There seems to be a tcp connection stuck in the CLOSING state here, which
seems odd. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but I imagine if
they start accumulating it could cause a problem. So, my questions are,

1. What could have caused a connection to get stuck like that?
2. How should I get rid of it? (if possible, without rebooting.)

Also, connections do seem to stick in this state fairly often, but timeout
after a while (this problematic one has been there for hours). Is there
any way to change the timeout on the CLOSING state? It's probably
somewhere in the source, but I don't know much about C, less about kernel
internals, and couldn't spot anything obvious looking under /sys/netinet.

Cheers
--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk