Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 19:57:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        steve hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making more pty's

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, steve hovey wrote:

> I know Im pushing my luck today - but.
>
> If I want more than 32 pty's, what do I name them?
>
> I assume I keep the major number of the other ptyp and ttyp's and just
> keep incrementing the minor -
>
> But what of the names?  They currently end at ttypv - would I go
> ttypw,x,y,z then ttyq0???

Take a look at /dev/MAKEDEV, in particular, the following section.
MAKEDEV pty1 should give you ptyq*:

pty*)
        class=`expr $i : 'pty\(.*\)'`
        case $class in
        0) offset=0 name=p;;
        1) offset=32 name=q;;
        2) offset=64 name=r;;
        3) offset=96 name=s;;
# Note that xterm (at least) only look at p-s.
        4) offset=128 name=P;;
        5) offset=160 name=Q;;
        6) offset=192 name=R;;
        7) offset=224 name=S;;
        # This still leaves [tuTU].
        *) echo bad unit for pty in: $i;;
        esac
        case $class in
        0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7)
                umask 0
                eval `echo $offset $name | awk ' { b=$1; n=$2 } END { \
                        for (i = 0; i < 32; i++) {
                                c = substr("0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv", i
 + 1, 1); \
                                printf("rm -f tty%s%s pty%s%s; \
                                        mknod tty%s%s c 5 %d; \
                                        mknod pty%s%s c 6 %d; \
                                        chown root.wheel tty%s%s pty%s%s;", \
                                        n, c, n, c, \
                                        n, c, b+i, \
                                        n, c, b+i, \
                                        n, c, n, c); \
                        } \
                }'`
                umask 77
                ;;
        esac
        ;;

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc