Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:09:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@freebsd.org, mckusick@mckusick.com
Subject:   Re: BUF_LOCK() related panic..

:In the long term, we probably need an spl-aware simplelock or maybe the
:cunning no-cost interrupt thread scheme which BSDi are using.
:
:--
:Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
:Nonlinear Systems Ltd.			Phone: +44 181 442 9037

    I really like the idea of a cunning no-cost interrupt thread scheme,
    I didn't realize that BSDi had moved to it!

    Doing this would allow us to remove easily half the spl management
    code and would allow us to fix simplelocks - to implement them the way
    they ought to be implemented.

    --

    On a related topic, I've done some syscall overhead measurements w/
    SMP verses non-SMP systems that people may be interested in.  The

	no SMP          Null syscall: 3532 nanoseconds
	SMP             Null syscall: 6750 nanoseconds
	SMP/patched     Null syscall: 6533 nanoseconds

    In comparison, I believe the Linux syscall overhead is on the order
    of 1 uS.  Not that I am concerned about a few measily microseconds,
    but this does show that we have a ways to go in our SMP work.  There
    is a lot of potential for improvement.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>