Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 12:04:52 +0300
From:      Alexey Lukin <al@cn.ua>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing sio0 and sio1 (was: HELP! Please, HELP!)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998 at 11:13:54 -1000, Brendan Kosowski wrote:
> ? On Sat, 16 May 1998, Sergey S. Rakitin wrote:
> ?
> ?? Hi there!
> ??
> ?? I've just installed FreeBSD 2.2.5-release.
> ?? Everything is Ok! But it says sio0 not found at 0x03f8
> ?? and sio1 not found at 0x02f8 :(
> ??
> ?? I've tryed to compile my kernel... nothing helped me :(
> ??
> ?? Please, help me with trouble!
> ?? I can't without serial ports...
> ??
> ?? P.S. I have SQ572 TX (Intel chipset and ALi chips on board) motherboard, iP200MMX
> ?? Box, ET76000, etc...

I giot the same sort of problems with different new motherboards.
Well, the SIO detection code is TOO sophisticated and does not recognise
MOST of on-board 16550 sios.
So, developers of SIO driver should re-write a bit SIO code to fit new
chips.

I found somewhwre in maillist this link to apropriate patches:

>Yes, and add in some patches.  See:
>
>        http://nest.bistbn.com/~yury/FreeBSD/sio.patch/sio.patch.2.2.5-R
>
>for the patch.  The patches liberalize the sio probe a bit since your chip
>doesn't act like a real UART.
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

I saw there also patch for 2.2.6-R

Bye.