Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:10:32 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] New features for libvgl

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:14:01PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> > Isn't your list of modes redundant with the internal data structures of the
> > VGA/VESA driver? Why do you list modes if it's not to query a specific one?
>
> I believe that there should be possibility to do both these things, i.e. (1) query
> list of available modes using some filter, so the aplication/toolkit will be able to
> select one that matches its needs, and (2) let the video driver select the best one
> given certain constrains. For example SDL provides a possibility to at least emulate
> mode if is not directly available from video hardware, so it need to know what the
> alternatives are.

All this is done by GGI. I agree that you may need it for SDL.

> I'm not very adamant about using internal data structures of video driver, because
> they are too generic and include too much irrelevant details. Probably we should
> extent VGLBitmap to include missing bits (depth, masks, etc).

Maybe you should rather put it in your VGL<->SDL interface driver and just consider VGL as
a drawing library.

> > [skip]
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Well, it's nice, but I'm not sure how it would work in the case of more high level
> toolkit (like SDL). As I said earlier, application can request an arbitrary mode,
> i.e. 349x246x19, so we have to do some adjustments before passing these parameters
> to the video driver- to do this we should know what the alternatives are.

See above.

> > About the mouse stuff, what is the exact usage of MousePointerShow? It's
> > not documented in the manpage.
>
> It's internal VGL function used to draw a mouse pointer at the screen.

So, the mousehandler is called each time the mouse is moving? The SDL library is
synchronous with input peripheral?

How will you handle acceleration with SDL?

Nicholas

--
Nicolas.Souchu@alcove.fr
Alcôve - Open Source Software Engineer - http://www.alcove.fr