Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 08:58:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alwyn Goodloe <agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network testbed setup question

Crist,

 THanks for your advise. The crossover cable thing fixed most of the
problems - I can ping and telnet between two machines for example. I seem
to forget about those crossover cables about every two years -- advancing
age.....

 I'm not sure why you say I don't need routed, isn't that necessary to
do routing. This is needed in the experiment since I need to mimic a real
environment even though I only have three machines and only one acts
as a router.  I was under the impression that I needed to have
the following in rc.conf
gateway_enable ="YES"
router_enable="YES"
router="routed"
router_flags="-s"

I guess for something this trivial I don't need to do much with respect to
the routing tables.Are you saying that I don't should have gateway_enable
= "YES" and router_enable="YES" (or should this be "NO"). The important
thing is that I need to route between different networks and have the
firewall software be able to filter and divert packets.

Alwyn
agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu