Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:03:55 +0100
From:      John <lists@reiteration.net>
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6 make buildworld failure

Hi

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:58:09PM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Saturday 14 September 2002 12:57, John wrote:
> > Hello gurus
> >
> > After deleting /usr/src and /usr/obj I did a cvsup yesterday evening
> > with the following supfile on a system 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0:
> > Sun Jul 21 19:52:
>
> Don't delete all of /usr/src. The idea of cvsup is that it updates your
> sources rather than replace everything.

(I know) the reason I deleted it all is more of a reflex action when
things go wrong in make buildworld. That, and deleting /usr/obj/*

> > *default  host=cvsup18.freebsd.org
> > *default  base=/usr
> > *default  prefix=/usr
> > *default  release=cvs
> > *default  tag=RELENG_4
> > *default  delete use-rel-suffix
> > src-all
> > *default tag=.
> > ports-all
> > doc-all
>
> Looks OK to me.
>

> > Running make buildworld on this gives the following error:
> >
> > echo ld: /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
> > ===> gnu/usr.bin/perl
> > ===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl
> > ===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/miniperl
> > ===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
> > Extracting config.h (with variable substitutions)
> > Extracting cflags (with variable substitutions)
> > Extracting writemain (with variable substitutions)
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/../miniperl/miniperl
> > -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib  -e 'use AutoSplit;
> > autosplit_lib_modules(@ARGV)'  lib/*.pm lib/*/*.pm
> > Permission denied.
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src.

[snip]

> > I guess from this there must be a problem in perl!
>
> It's always possible that the latest commits may have broken something, but I
> built world yesterday without problems. In most of these cases there's a user
> error somewhere.

agreed!

> Try to 'rm -rf /usr/obj/*' once more, perhaps you need to 'chflags -R noschg
> /usr/obj/*' to really get rid of everything (note the "Permission denied"
> above).

Done that, ran both of the commands you suggested, just to make sure. It
still breaks in the same place, unfortunately. Have you any other
suggestions I can try?

thanks for the suggestions so far.

--
John - jfm@reiteration.net - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm