Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:01:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>, mike@smith.net.au, dg@root.com, green@zone.syracuse.NET, grog@lemis.com, julian@whistle.com, bag@sinbin.demos.su, rock@cs.uni-sb.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current NFS problem

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Rick bowed out of the NFS game a long time ago.  Kirk would be a better
> > > bet.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > In general, he's not interested in helping FreeBSD in any way, since
> > he thinks the code has become too "polluted" and "complicated" now.
> > (which I would disagree with.. initial inspection by myself a while
> > ago suggested that not much at all has really changed..)
>
> I'd agree with him, starting with the "cookie" for VOP_READDIR.

Which was also in Lite2.

> > As for any other help, as I said, give me a list of specific questions
> > and I'll do my best to get answers.
>
> I think if we get one shot at this, the list of questions should be
> agreed upon.
>
> My main question would be:
>
> o	Do you see any reason why nfsnode locking should be necessary?

The last time I spoke to Rick about this, he said that the reason NFS
can't use a vnode lock is to prevent a server hang from causing a lock
cascade ending up with the root vnode being locked and the whole machine
wedged.  I experimented for a while with a gross hack which only locked
regular files but it was too complicated and I ditched it.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039