Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 00:26:10 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        cactoss@galima.2y.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: localhost cannot be resolved

> Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

cactoss> 4.0-RELEASE

Please update to 4.1-RELEASE.  4.0-RELEASE's getaddrinfo(3) has DNS
query order problem and it was fixed in 4.1-RELEASE.
Or, at least you should update libc/net/getaddrinfo.c and
libc/net/name6.c
I don't know why getaddrinfo(3) fails for localhost query, exactly.
However, probably updating to 4.1-RELEASE fixes your problem.

cactoss> I tried to look at the sources for telnet. In file commands.c:2292, there's
cactoss> an assignment of variable "family". I couldn't understand where the variable
cactoss> is coming from.

The variable `family' is came from command line of telnet.  If -4 is
specified, telnet tries only AF_INET.  If -6 is specified, telnet
tries only AF_INET6.  Default is AF_UNSPEC, that is try both IPv6 and
IPv4.

cactoss> Could you please take a look at `ifconfig lo0`:

cactoss> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
cactoss> 	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
cactoss> 	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
cactoss> 	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

cactoss> Does it look okay?

It seems fine.

cactoss> One question. Firewall rules apply to both IPv4 and IPv6, right? There
cactoss> shouldn't be separate rules to IPv6, should there?

No.  Rules for IPv6 is set separately by ip6fw.  Firewall for IPv6 is
enabled by specifying `options IPV6FIREWALL' in your kernel config.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/