Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:43:45 -0700
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone get ucom0 working with Best Data USB modems?

I've got a 4.7-STABLE version of FreeBSD running.  I've enabled the
new USB drivers in the kernel, created the /dev/ucom0 device, and put
the device in /etc/usbd.conf based on the output from usbdevs.
However, when I hook my Best Data 56k USB modem up to the port, dmesg
shows that it is detected as a ugen0 device.

Is anyone else who might have one of these modems had any better luck?
I don't have another USB modem to try, so I'm not sure if this is a
Best Data thing, or if I'm messing up the config.  The fact that it's
detected as a ugen device makes me think it's hardware (or driver)
related.

Cheers,
-Wes
wes@bogon.net