Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Ahmad Arafat Abdullah <trunasuci@mail.com>, "pobox@verysmall.org" <pobox@verysmall.org>, Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rebooting into single user mode on a remote server

--- Ahmad Arafat Abdullah <trunasuci@mail.com> wrote:

> [...]

the best possible only way is to use a serial console
via a modem, which could drop out during the update,
or a network accessable serial multiplexer. Those are
expensive, modems are relatively cheap. Both require a
serial console enabled kernel on the server. the only
other way would be to have a cheap old box that can be
connected to over the network with a null modem
between it and the server. you would want this box to
be UBER secured because it is a console to the system.
There are ways of doing this so that a remote trigger
is required to boot this system, but such methods
require relays, a soldering iron, and some paranoia to
complete.

The gist of it is you will need a serial console on
the server. Then you need a way to connect this serial
line to your remote location. the easiest. cheapest,
and least likely to fail is an old 486 or p1. p2
whatever you have lieing around that can be remoted
connected to via ssh. if security is a concern you
should use a key connection with no passwords. the
user on that box doesn't have to be root, but he will
need to be able to access the serial ports. then via a
communications program available in ports take your
pick you connect via a null modem to the server. you
can then login and shutdown to single user mode on the
server and upgrade to your hearts desires.

-brian