Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 14:38:20 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't boot from 2nd drive

I've seen similar stuff here, but not quite the problem I'm having.
Nothing in a (quick) search of the archives, either.

I'm currently running 2.1.7-R on an IDE drive (1.2 GB Maxtor).  Has a
50MB DOS partition, the rest fbsd.

The second drive, which will (hopefully) soon replace the above, is a
Seagate ST51080N 1GB scsi riding a 2940W.

The scsi has a 50 MB DOS partition, and I did an ftp install of
2.2.1-R on the remainder.  And I can't boot from it.  Usually.
Installed booteasy, comes up F1 dos, F2 FBSD, F5 Second Disk.  If I
press F5 it then shows F? and nothing works.

If I disable (bios) the ide drive, it boots F1 F2, but again gives F?
when pressed.

With both drives enabled and pressing F2 for the IDE drive, if at the
boot prompt  I type in sd(0,a)/kernel which should be the scsi 2.2.1,
it boots 2.1.7.

(Don't know if it means anything, but the root of the second disk did
not have a "kernal", just kernel.GENERIC, which I copied. )

I *can* boot 2.2.1 if I disable the IDE and use the boot floppy.
I've played around in sysinstall's disk labeller to make the drive
bootable, doesn't help.

One more thing, the bootinst table for booteasy  shows neither the
DOS or fbsd partitions as bootable on the scsi disk.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

tia,

Riley