Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:40:47 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland - <Tomi.Vainio@Sun.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: camcontrol stop / restart broken

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 23:09:07 +0300, Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland - wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My source disk is quite noisy so normally I stop it after building the
> world and restart it once a week.  Couple weeks this restart hasn't
> worked as before.  Only way to start disk again is reboot.
>
> camcontrol stop 1:2:0
> Unit stopped successfully
> mount /f
> mount: /dev/da1s1e: Input/output error
> tail /var/log/messages
> Apr 28 23:01:40 cat /boot/kernel/kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:2:0): Invalidating pack
> Apr 28 23:01:40 cat /boot/kernel/kernel: da1: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0
> camcontrol start 1:2:0
> Unit started successfully
> mount /f
> mount: /dev/da1s1e: Input/output error

Hmm, that's not good.

Can you do the following:

camcontrol stop da1
camcontrol tur da1 -v
[ then you can start it back up with camcontrol start ]

What I want to see here is the sense information coming back from the drive
when it is spun down.

The new error recovery code should be doing the same thing as the old error
recovery code -- sending a start unit.  For some reason it isn't doing the
right thing, though.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry