Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 95 22:20:31 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        pete@dsw.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk quotas: why broken, when fixed?

> > > A short history of when disk quotas were broken, why they got broken, and
> > > what might be needed to fix them would be very helpful.
> >
> > I'm not currently working on quotas.
>
> [...and then proceeds to explain the (arguably justifible) reasons why...]
>
> > Anyway, it's pretty ugly code and I don't want to look at it any more. 8^).

I meant "any more today, now that I've looked at it to make sure the
information in this posting is mostly accurate".

I'll get back to them eventually, or someone else will.

> Umm.  That's not very useful in the light of the large numbers of
> people who need quotas _now_; broken, limited, performance-impaired or not.
>
> Are you prepared to offer them guidance in kludging what there _is_ now
> to avoid the significant evils whilst you work on your Morally Upstanding
> and Hi-Fibre filesystem layers?

I thought I did:

o	Don't turn them on on the same file for different file system
o	Turn them off manually before you shutdown instead of having
	the system do it for you.
o	Turn them only only after you've mounted everything (again,
	this pretty much spells "manually").
o	Put the quota file somewhere on the filesystem it applies to
	instead of putting them all in one handy location to guard
	against dev_t mixups in the code.
o	If all this fails, arrange it so you can live with just one
	file system with its quota on.

> If not, who should they turn to for guidance in the lands of shadow?

That would be Gandalf the puke-green.  He's in an entirely different
department.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---