Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 19:47:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Chris Edstrom <wilhand@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot-up problem

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Chris Edstrom wrote:

>           I installed FreeBSD on my computer (486dx2/66, 8megs ram),
> and when I try to boot up I get the error "partion is out of reach
> from the bios."  What does that mean, and is there a way around it?

Apparently you have installed your FreeBSD slice so that it is above the
1024 cylinder limit.  This is not good.

If you can, try to get the root partition below the 1024 cylinder mark,
perhaps by installing a slice with just root at the beginning of the disk
and the rest of the slice at the back of the disk.