Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 07:57:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        darrylo@sr.hp.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: K6 Update & AMD Statement

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:49:32 -0700 Darryl Okahata said:
>"John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 18:04:53 +0200 Poul-Henning Kamp said:
>> >I have a K6/233 here which has by now completed 50 or more make worlds,
>> >no complaints.
>> >
>> >It is marked:
>> >                AMD-K6-233ANR
>> >                3.2V CORE / 3.3V I/O
>> >                B 9731EJBW
>>                    ^^^^^^^^
>>
>> This is what I'm told is the important part.  The stepping must be 9731 or
>> later.
>
>     This looks like a date code (when the IC was manufactured), and not
>a stepping.  If it is a date code, "9731" would be the 31st week of
>1997, which is the last week in July.

Actually, it is a date code, not a "standard" stepping code.  My
understanding (Always suspect!) is that AMD made the correction as a
running change in production without a specific stepping assigned to
it.

It would have been easiler to id the desired chips if they had, but at
least they _did_ "step up to the plate" and admit to the problem _and_
fix it when it was brought to their attention...

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting