Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:21:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM and -stable

spork wrote...
> OK, I'm just going to bug you one more time with two questions:
>
> Where can I find more docs for cam?  Like cam(3) or something?

There are lots of man pages.  It just depends on what you want
documentation on.  Most of the controller drivers have man pages (like
ahc(4), dpt(4)).  All of the peripheral drivers have man pages (like da(4),
pass(4)).

If you want generic kernel configuration information, see scsi(4).  (a.k.a.
cam(4))

cam(3) certainly exists, but it's probably not what you're looking for.
(Unless you're writing a userland SCSI pass-through program)

Oops, I just realized that you're using -stable.  Most of those man pages
aren't available in -stable.  In any case, the quirk entry stuff you want
to do isn't documented anywhere, so the docs from -current wouldn't help.

> How can I adjust things so that only a certain amount of tags are used
> (like we've been discussing)?  I assume it has something to do with
> "quirk entries", but I'm not sure where that type of thing gets defined...

Oh, I should have been a little more clear there.  Go into
sys/cam/cam_xpt.c, and look around near the top of the file.  You'll see a
quirk table with entries like this:

	{
		/* Reports QUEUE FULL for temporary resource shortages */
		{ T_DIRECT, SIP_MEDIA_FIXED, quantum, "XP39100*", "*" },
		/*quirks*/0, /*mintags*/24, /*maxtags*/32
	},

And, as far as numbers go, I'd suggest that you use exactly the numbers
that we use for the Atlas II, above.  They'll apply to both luns of your
RAID controller, so the available tag openings will be evenly split between
the two.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry