Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:49:33 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        jadaan@eecs.umich.edu (Khaleel Al-Jadaan)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet from FreeBSD to Linux

Khaleel Al-Jadaan writes:
>   ftp works fine as long as you don't ftp from freebsd to linux. KJ.

FWIW, I work in an environment with FreeBSD and Linux
interacting many ways all the time. FreeBSD (x 2 boxes) here
are 2.2-current, the box I talk to (connected via PPP) is
Linux with a 2.0.24 kernel, and next to that box runs a
dedicated news machine which runs FreeBSD 2.2-ALPHA, with NFS,
ftp, telnet, ssh, rsh, rlogin and nntp used *often* between
them. There are no problems at all doing any of this, nor have
there ever been.

Whatever the problem is, it is very doubtful that it is
related to which operating system one system or the other
machine runs, but almost definitely in how they are
configured. Places to start looking are obviously on the Linux
box, perhaps /etc/inetd.conf, to see which services are
enabled or not as the case may be, and/or whether specific
services may be being denied by tcpwrappers.

Regards,

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn