Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:52:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm fixing the build/install kernel target

On Friday, 14 July 2000 at 17:22:50 -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [000714 16:51] wrote:
>> The default will no longer be GENERIC.  Having that default makes it
>> way too easy to shoot yourself in the foot, it will be manditory to
>> specify a KERNEL=.
>>
>> The install target will be corrected to behave the same way that
>> the old install target from the kernel build directory does.  That
>> means it will do the kernel->kernel.old and install over /kernel.
>> The current way makes it overly complex and error prone.
>
> Actually, I retract this, I'm leaving it broken and raising an
> exception about how it's killing our newbies and suprising a lot
> of our users.
>
> Marcel, I'd appreciate you investigating fixing this.
>
> The above fix could be done or several other options can be taken:
>
> 1) "GENERIC" -> "kernel", that way the default works
> 2) echo >> kernel="GENERIC" >> /boot/loader.conf
>    # fix the /kernel thing to be /GENERIC in the installer

I'm not too happy with this.

> 3) make a simplfied target that does the right thing (installing /kernel)
>    rename the buildkernel and installkernel to something else replacing
>    them with the simplified target.
> 4) the original suggestion: if the KERNEL var isn't set then bomb out,
>    so the install to /kernel.
>
> I like the 3 and 4, but 1 2 are pretty acceptable.

I'm not too happy with any of this.

> Making configuring a kernel more complex and error prone should
> have never happened.

Indeed.

Here's what I think would make sense:

1.  Allow "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel" in /usr/src with
    no options.  The results should be identical with the "make all"
    and "make install" in /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL, where
    MYKERNEL is the name of the currently running kernel.  The rule in
    /usr/src can get the name from uname(1).

2.  Call the resultant kernel "kernel", not "MYKERNEL".  This is what
    we're used to, and peter recently went to some trouble to remove
    arbitrary kernel names.

3.  Put the build directory in the /usr/obj hierarchy, not the
    /usr/src/sys/compile hierarchy.  That would (help) enable
    read-only /usr/src.

Comments?
Greg